Friday, June 26, 2009

Goosen relies on lucky break to lead in Munich

By Norman Dabell
MUNICH (Reuters) - Twice U.S. Open winner Retief Goosen changed putters to seize a two-shot lead after Thursday`s BMW International Open first round.
The 40-year-old South African`s other ally was Lady Luck as he composed an eight-under-par 64 to head second-placed Richard Finch of Britain, with a large group three shots off the pace on 67.
While Goosen took only 26 putts, he also needed a stroke of good fortune when his ball looked to be heading for a pond beside the 18th green.
However, it hit a television tower, enabling him to take a free drop. From there he pitched to 10 feet and holed out to complete a hat-trick of birdies.
"Putting was the key," Goosen told reporters. "I hit the ball really well last week in the U.S. Open but didn`t make anything on the greens.
"Yesterday I was testing a new putter and it sort of felt good so I decided to give it a try. I haven`t changed putters for some time but this just has a different feel.
"I did get a break on 18. I scuffed my shot and could easily have gone in the water and made a (bogey) six."
It is five years since Goosen won the second of his U.S. Opens but he showed signs of a return to top form when he finished joint 16th at Bethpage Black in New York last week.
BETTER FITNESS
He puts his revival down to better fitness.
"I got lazy I suppose, as simple as that, so I decided to get fitter again and I`m getting some payback," said Goosen.
Heavy rain interrupted play in late morning and Finch, twice a European Tour winner, marred his round by three-putting on his return to the course.
There were nine players on 67 while world number five Henrik Stenson, the highest-ranked competitor here, opened with a 68.
Bernhard Langer, 51, a seven-times champion on the U.S. seniors tour, is making another bid to win the only German title to elude him and also started with a 68.
The German`s 20-year-old playing partner Rory McIlroy, who tied for 10th at the U.S. Open, could only manage a 71.  Continued...
Original article

No comments:

 

Business

Politics

Incidents

 

Society

Sport

Culture