Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Nadal's Wimbledon title defense still in doubt

Nadal's Wimbledon title defense still in doubt
By Iain Rogers
MADRID (Reuters) - Rafael Nadal's Wimbledon defense remained in doubt Tuesday after the world number one said he faced a tough two weeks of treatment to overcome knee problems before the grasscourt grand slam.
The Spaniard was forced out of this week's traditional Wimbledon warm-up at Queen's Club with tendonitis and said he would do everything in his power to get fit for the All-England club starting on June 22.
"I will give 200 percent to be at 100 percent for the most important date in world tennis and the tournament that has always excited me the most," the Spaniard said in a statement after undergoing tests at a clinic in Barcelona.
"I have been playing with pain in my knees for several months and personally I cannot continue like this," he added.
"The pain was limiting me physically in certain movements which meant I was also suffering mentally. I will not take to any court, and certainly not the Wimbledon center court, unless I know I am 100 percent."
After his shock defeat by Robin Soderling at the French Open nine days ago, Nadal said he had been advised to rest by doctors and pulled out of Queen's in London, where he was also defending champion.
He said he would undergo physiotherapy and Spanish tennis federation (RFET) doctor Angel Ruiz Cotorro said the treatment would include anti-inflammatory drugs and intensive muscle work.
Nadal has blamed his injury problems on the overloaded tennis calendar and last year missed the season-ending Masters Cup in Shanghai and Spain's Davis Cup victory over Argentina.
He said he would travel to London next Tuesday.
ALL EFFORT
World number six Andy Roddick said he did not believe Nadal's problematic knees would threaten his career and he was sure the Mallorca native would defend his Wimbeldon title.
"I've had tendonitis for years and years and years," the American said after brushing aside Belgian Kristof Vliegen 6-1 6-4 at Queen's Tuesday.
"Rafa has had tendonitis for a long time and he's won grand slams while he's had it," he added.
"I'm certainly not going to under-estimate Rafa. I think he's going to be there. I think he's going to be fine and I think he's going to put forth all the effort he has. He's certainly proven that in the past."
World number four Novak Djokovic, who lost to Nadal in last year's Queen's Club final, said he hoped the Spaniard would be back for Wimbledon. Continued...
Source: Reuters

No comments:

 

Business

Politics

Incidents

 

Society

Sport

Culture