Sunday, June 21, 2009

Reclaiming Wimbledon crown is Federer's top priority

Reclaiming Wimbledon crown is Federer's top priority
By Martyn Herman
LONDON (Reuters) - Never mind edging ahead of Pete Sampras as the greatest collector of tennis's big prizes, all Roger Federer really wants is his Wimbledon crown back after it was wrestled from his grasp 12 months ago.
The 27-year-old world number two tied Sampras's 14 grand slams with his maiden triumph at the French Open this month and after defending champion Rafael Nadal's withdrawal on Friday from the year's third major he will start as favorite to re-write the record books.
"The focus is on the first round and the first point, trying to regain my Wimbledon crown," Federer, who will be aiming for a sixth title in seven years at the grasscourt slam, told reporters after hitting at the All England Club on Saturday.
"That stands over trying to beat Pete's record right now. Once I come down to the semi-finals or final, hopefully, in 10 or 12 days, then that's also going to start creeping into my mind.
"But right now, I'm just trying to regain my Wimbledon crown. I don't feel any pressure having to beat Pete's record right now, but I know that things are looking good for me."
The year began in floods of tears for Federer in Australia where world number one Nadal inflicted another defeat on the Swiss -- a crushing blow that had many fearing his days as a major force could be numbered.
Things could not be more different now, however, after marrying his long-term girlfriend Mirka and then holding his nerve to win at Roland Garros after claycourt king Nadal's early exit had opened the door to one prize absent from his CV.
"I feel good, you know," said Federer, who skipped his normal grasscourt tune-up event in Halle to gather his thoughts. "I feel like I'm playing very well at the moment. On the grass it didn't take me much time to get used to the conditions, I mean it never really does.
"But it was good to take a week off, get away from it all and enjoy the time at home and recover. I'm ready to go here."
He clearly looks like a man with a huge weight lifted from his shoulders, even if his triumph in Paris left him feeling mentally drained.
"I know when to take a break and when not to," he said. I felt like I had to play like four finals at the end of Paris because of the pressure."
Federer will open his 11th Wimbledon campaign on Center Court on Monday against Lu Yen-hsun of Taiwan, whatever the weather, after the completion of the show court's sliding roof.
"I went to see Center Court the other day," he said. "You know, it didn't lose anything of the whole history part. It still remains the best court in the world. I'm excited to be going out there on Monday."
(Editing by Alison Wildey)

Source: Reuters

No comments:

 

Business

Politics

Incidents

 

Society

Sport

Culture