Saturday, June 20, 2009

Surprise package Barnes exceeds expectations

By Mark Lamport-Stokes
FARMINGDALE, New York (Reuters) - PGA Tour rookie Ricky Barnes exceeded expectations by charging into an early one-shot lead in record style in the weather-delayed U.S. Open second round on Saturday.
Competing in only his 37th event on the circuit, the long-hitting American took advantage of rain-softened greens at Bethpage Black to card a five-under-par 65.
The 28-year-old birdied three of his last eight holes to post an eight-under total of 132, a U.S. Open record for the first two rounds. Jim Furyk and Vijay Singh set the previous mark of 133 in the 2003 edition at Olympia Fields.
"It's pretty cool," a beaming Barnes told reporters after taking a one-stroke lead over fellow American Lucas Glover.
"At the beginning of the week you didn't think that score was out there but, with some tees moved up and the soft greens, that helped out."
With rain forecast for all four rounds on the brutally long 7,426-yard layout, organizers moved four tees for the opening round and three for the second.
"My ball-striking was probably the most impressive part of the first 36 holes," said Barnes, the 2002 U.S. Amateur champion. "I hit 31 of 36 greens and I've played pretty stress-free with just one bogey.
WORKING HARD
"Could I have predicted I would shoot 132? No. Did I know I had it in me? Yeah. I'm starting to play well and I've been working hard on my game on and off the golf course."
Barnes, who has missed the cut in three of his four previous U.S. Open appearances, earned his PGA Tour card by finishing 25th in the 2008 Nationwide Tour money list.
However his category is relatively low for playing privileges on the circuit and he has made only 13 starts this season.
"It's tough to foresee something (good) happening when you play two weeks and then you ride the bench for two weeks because you're not getting any tournaments," Barnes said. "In my category it's just tough to get into events."
Asked what had been the most important lesson he had learned since turning professional in 2003, he replied: "I have to be more patient.
"I think it's shown out here in this USGA (United States Golf Association) event. When you first come out you think you can press after one bogey but in a USGA event one bogey is not going to kill you."
(Editing by Tony Jimenez. To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)

Source: Reuters

No comments:

 

Business

Politics

Incidents

 

Society

Sport

Culture